This PSEB 12th Class History Notes Chapter 4 Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s Life and His Teachings will help you in revision during exams.
PSEB 12th Class History Notes Chapter 4 Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s Life and His Teachings
Early Career of Guru Nanak Dev Ji:
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji was born on 15th April, 1469 A.D. at Rai Bhoi Ki Talwandi.
- The name of his father was Mehta Kalu Ji and the name of his mother was Tripta Ji.
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji was quite serious and thoughtful by nature since his childhood.
- Guru Sahib’s teachers were surprised to see his spiritual knowledge.
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s father tried to keep him busy in work through various occupations but Guru Ji showed no interest in them.
- At the age of 14 years, he was married to Sulakhni Ji, the daughter of Mool Chand, a resident of Batala.
- At the age of 20 years, he was employed at the Modikhana (foodgrain store) at the Sultanpur Lodhi.
- While at Sultanpur Lodhi, Guru Nanak attained enlightenment while bathing in the Bein rivulet.
- He was 30 years old at that time.
Udasis of Guru Nanak Dev Ji:
- After attaining enlightenment in 1499 A.D., Guru Nanak Dev Ji set out on long travels (Udasis) in India and in foreign countries.
- He spent 21 years in these travels or Udasis.
- The main objective of the Udasis of Guru Nanak Dev Ji was to remove the ignorance of the people and to give the message of the unity of Godhead and universal brotherhood of mankind.
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji started his first Udasi in 1499 A.D. with Bhai Mardana.
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji travelled Saidpur, Talumba, Kurukshetra, Panipat, Delhi, Haridwar, Gorakhmata, Banaras, Kamrup, Gaya, Jagannath Puri, Lanka and Pakpattan.
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji started his second Udasi at the end of 1513 A.D.
- In this Udasi Guru Ji travelled the Hilly states, Kailash Parbat, Ladakh, Kashmir, Hasan Abdal, and Sialkot.
- During his third Udasi, which was started at the end of 1517 A.D., Guru Nanak Dev Ji travelled to Multan, Mecca, Madina, Baghdad, Kabul, Peshawar, and Saidpur.
- Thousands of people became his followers, being greatly impressed by his personality and his teachings.
Teachings of Guru Nanak Dev Ji:
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji’s teachings were simple but impressive.
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji believed in one God only.
- According to Guru Nanak Dev Ji, God is the Greater, Sustainer and Destroyer of the world.
- He is without form and omnipotent.
- According to him, Maya is the biggest obstacle in the way of man to attaining salvation.
- Haumai (Ego) is the root cause of man’s all troubles.
- Guru Ji vehemently opposed casteism and hollow customs and traditions.
- Guru Ji raised their voice to uplift the status of women in society.
- Guru Ji emphasized the recitation of Nam.
- He regarded the Guru as the most important mean to reach God.
Immessed in Eternal Light:
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji immessed in Eternal Light on 22 September 1539 A.D.
- Before his immersion in Eternal Light, he nominated Bhai Lehna Ji as his successor.