PSEB 12th Class Physical Education Practical Weight Lifting and Power Lifting
Weight Lifting And Power Lifting Game History
The competition for the event of strength has been a part of human activities since ancient civilization. Since, time immemorial human beings have been trying to exhibit themselves as a strongest from others and inviting various strength related events to exhibit and express their supremacy in strength.
Ancient History, The ancient history Zhou Dynasty of China exhibits the origin of weight lifting during 10th century. During this period, the recruitment in military was done on the basis of their strength abilities such as weight lifting. In 1896. Modern Olympic Game weight lifting got recognition with the performance of Lavneeston Elliot, who exhibited strength and won championship by lifting weight in one hand event. In 1932. 5 weight categories were included in the games. In these games press snatch and clean jerk events were organized. The women competitions were held for the first time in Olympics at Sydney (Australia) in 2000.
Weight Lifting And Power Lifting Game Latest Rules
- Weight Lifting competition is organized on wooden platform, which has dimension of 4 metre each side of the platform.
- Weight can be increased from 2 1/2 to 5 kg.
- The maximum weight can be increased upto 5 kgs only.
- A player can participate an hour prior to each event.
- Each player is weighted an hour prior to an event.
- Weight is taken once before an event. But, if they have weight above then their weight category can be given second chance.
- It is foul to lift the weight with jerk upto shoulder level.
- ft is not permitted to touch any body part while lifting weight above shoulder level.
- If a player misbehaves even after warning, then he will be disqualified from the event.
- If a participant is found under the influence of any drug, then he will be disqualified from the event immediately.
- in weight lifting, the event comprised of snatch and clean and jerk.
- Power lifting includes Squat, Bench Press and dead lift event.
- In each event, two players can take part. If required a player can be substituted.
- A player is required to appear for weight in an hour prior to competition.
- Only the players having higher weight then the weight categories can be weighed again.
Classification of weight categories.
The weight lifting competition is organised under following classification:
|67 1/2 kg
|82 1/2 kg
|110 kg, 125 kg ,+125 kg
The weight of bar shall be 20 kg and 15 kg for man & woman respectively to the bar has two collars with weight of 2.5 kg each.
Tips To Remember
- There are nine weight categories for men and 11 weight categories for women in weight lifting.
- There are 8 weight categories in power lifting for men and 7 weight categories for women.
- The weight can be increased upto 5 kgs only.
- The events comprises of Snatch, Jerk and cleaaip weight lifting.
Various Style for the Weight Lifting:
Weight Lifting Federation of India has given following styles for the championship.
1. Two hands Clean and Press:
(i) The first Phase Shouldering:
In this position, the bar horizontally lies near the feet of the lifter. In this with broad.grip the weight is lifted upto shoulders in single jerk. This jerk can be taken with body bending or broad base position. Once the weight is lifted upto shoulder level, the same should be kept under chin with flexed arm position. Whether the feet are closer or feet apart, their level should remain same and legs should be absolutely straight. In this position, a lifter should wait for the signal from the referee.
2. Second Phase lifting the bar at the signal of the umpire:
In second phase, after receiving signal from the referee, the weight is lifted and arms should be in fully extended position. The above phase should be very clean and clear without bending legs or upper body should not be extended backward. There should not be any movement and feet positioning should be stationary. The weight lifter should remain in this state atleast for 2 seconds. The weight should be released only after getting the signal from the referee.
The following movements are considered fault or wrong movements :
- Lifting weight with jerks towards shoulders.
- Lifting the bar before the referee’s signal.
- Slightly bending of knees while lifting bar.
- Undue bending while lifting bar.
- Flexing after referee’s signal.
- Bending or extending of torso (upper body).
- Extended arms repeatedly.
- Upper body rotation.
- Pause while arm extension.
- Incomplete extension of arms.
- Movement of feet.
- Raising feet, toes or ankle while lifting.
- Dropping the bar before referee’s signal.
B. Two hands Snatch:
While lifting the weight of the bar is kept horizontally in front of the lifter. In this, the lifter lifts the weight in single jerk above the head.
In this position, his legs can be apart or flexed. The movement of bar should be continuous and closer to the body. In this position, no body part other than feet can touch the platform. The lifting position should be retained for atleast two seconds. The arms and legs should be fully extended and feet should be maximum apart at 40 cm.
Two hands clean and Jerk:
The bar is placed horizontally in front of the lifter. In this lifter lifts the weight in single jerk upto shoulder level with both hands. In this position, the lifter either broaden his leg space or bend his legs to left the weight until the arms position is not attained in completion state, it is not permitted to touch platform with any body part other then feet. In this position, feet should be in line and maximum at 10 cm distance apart.
Jury of Appeal:
It is under the jury of appeal to change any referee or judge if needed. The neutrality of referee cannot be questioned. The written protest can be given for the judgement by the referee and the decision can be taken after reviewing the same.
The following movements are considered incorrect:
- Knee down on the platform.
- Touching the bar before lifting the weight upto shoulder level.
- Repeated Jerks.
Costume: A player can wear costume with strips (Jack strap) or swimming/wrestling costume.
Platform and other equipment:
Height lifting competition is conducted on the wooden platform. Each side of the platform is 4 metre and the weight of bar is 20 kg for men and 15 kg for women. The maximum weight can be increased upto 5 kgs only for the lift. The circumference of largest disc is 45 cm and the diameter of bar is 28 mm at the site of grip holding stance.
Weight Lifting And Power Lifting Game General Rules
- In all the events of weight lifting such as cleans, snatcher and jerk, it is at the will of lifter to take position while bending knees or straight legs position.
- A lifter can correct his legs positioning within the given time period.
- Hooking technique is permitted,
- Hooking at elbow is not allowed.
- It is not allowed to hang while clearing.
- If there is any strain on one or both hands then, it would be considered as an attempt to lift. Especially, if the bar is lifted upto knee level.
Rules of Competition.
- The points shall be given as 5 points for first position, 3 points for second position and 1 point for third position.
- In case of tie, the player with less weight would be given advantage over the player with more weight.
- If the weight prior to competition is same for the players in case of ties and the weight lifted for the competition is also same, then both shall be placed at same position.
- In case of deciding team position, team with maximum points shall be considered at first place.
- Only following persons can be present at the platform while lifting weight.
- Jury Member
- Judges appointed for the event
- Team Manager (One team manager for each team)
- After the announcement of participant, he shall be given 2 minutes to lift the weight. In case of delay again two minutes shall be given and after 3 minutes the same will be given warning.
- A lifter who crosses the platform, shall be disqualified from the event.
- If the lifter misbehaves or produce loud voice, then he will be disqualified from the event after second warning.
Weight Lifting And Power Lifting Game Important Questions
Enlist various styles of weight lifting.
(i) Two hands clean and press.
(ii) The hands snatch
(iii) Two hands clean and jerk.
At what time the players are weighted for the competition.
One hour prior to competition.
Is it permitted to lift the weight with jerk upto shoulder?
Explain about the officials for weight lifting.
- Jury of Appeal,
- 3 referee.
What is the weight of collar in the bar?
What is the dimension of platform in weight lifting?
In which year, it was included in Olympic Games for Women?
2000 Olympics Sydney.
How many weight categories are there for women in weight lifting?
Name the person, who developed weight lifting in England?
What is the cirumference of longest disc in weight lifting?
Name the persons who can be present at platform during lift.
- Jury member
- Team Manager
Enlist any two incorrect movements in weight lifting.
- Knee down on platform
- Repetitive Jerks.
What is the weight of bar for men?
What should be the weight of bar for women?
Punjab State Board PSEB 12th Class Physical Education Book Solutions 12th Class Physical Education Practical Weight Lifting and Power Lifting Important Notes, Questions and Answers.